Sunday, November 13, 2016

FST 495 Update #12

Now that our semester is nearing a close, we are looking at all of the festivals we would like to submit to. We have around $530 in submission funds and can't wait to get started! Jessica and I are going to sit down and finalize a rollout plan and then look into creating a few DVDs of our film. We are also starting to put together our BTS photography and footage for our Indiegogo backers. Looking back on this project, it's been a fun yet challenging experience. As a producer, it has definitely kept me on my toes, but I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity. Some people might view this film as just a senior project, but I view it as so much more than that. I really want it to have a successful festival run, and I truly believe that we have a shot. I don't mean it in a bragging way, but I mean that I can tell this film was a product of our cooperation and hard work. We all treated it as a priority, and I think our fine cut really demonstrates just how much it meant to our group. This weekend, we all took a brief break to visit Cucalorus, and as always the experience was memorable.

Cucalorus Response:
On Thursday night, I went to see She's Allergic to Cats, which is about a dog groomer who meets a girl and is smitten immediately. He's awkward and has little experience with love, and buys a cat to take care of his apartment's rat problem...but he doesn't know that she's allergic to cats. This was the most interesting Q &A because the director said that the characters are all close and personal friends of his, and he was actually a dog groomer in real life. The film seemed to be a loose (and very exaggerated) representation of himself and people he knew. The film was also interesting because it was extremely experimental and many parts of the story were implied as a result. For example, when the main character had an allergic reaction, it was portrayed in a series of jarring experimental effects, and was never expressed in conventional storytelling techniques. On Friday, I watched the Sea Monkey Animations block, and there were some very powerful pieces introduced to me. One of them was an animated documentary about a man who immigrated to America due to the hard times faced in his home country. I found this piece to be very relevant due to recent events revolving around immigration policies, and it resonated the most with me. After this block, Jessica and I went to the Leafy Sea Dragon Shorts, which were Virtual Reality Shorts. I really enjoyed this part of the festival because it was my first time trying out VR goggles. My favorite VR film was called Extraction, and it reminded me of a first person video game, similar to Dead Space in a lot of ways. It was a fun experience to actually feel like I was in the films and witnessing the situations firsthand. On Friday night, I watched The Eyes of My Mother, which was essentially like a feature length version of Un Chien Andalou. It was about a girl with a surgeon mother that has an obsession with anatomy. Her mother is brutally murdered and then things take a turn for the worst. What interested me the most about this film was the fact that it was in black and white, like a more classic horror film. It also played very well on the discomfort factor, leaving me thinking "What the hell did I just watch?" and was one of my favorite screenings at Cucalorus. Today, I watched The Love Witch because it ironically revolved around Wicca, so Jessica and I found it to be a fitting Cucalorus choice. Of course, the religion was portrayed as evil but the film also attempted to highlight the good witches as well, which was unlike other films I had seen on the topic. Overall, my Cucalorus experience was enlightening and unforgettable, and I hope we get to come back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment